Monday, May 4, 2009

I wish I was this good.

So my new car needed a new stereo. The USPS kindly (or begrudgingly) delivered it to my house today. As soon as I got home, I excitedly cut through the packaging tape, pulled out the shiny retail box, and popped open the cardboard flap.

"WOW!" I exclaimed, "Look at this unbelievable feat of engineering! This is stunning! It's the most intricate piece of cut and folded corrugated cardboard I've ever seen!"

Sure, the Alpine stereo inside was quite nice as well, but for a moment I tossed it aside to marvel at the pieces of processed wood pulp that protected it on its journey from the factory to my home. I'm not even kidding when I say that I wish I was smart enough to design it.

This is what I pulled out of the box. Looks ordinary enough.


But as I looked closer...


Holy crap!


It was layer upon layer of folded cardboard riddled with cuts, holes, and interlocking tabs...


All from a single sheet of dead tree, designed by some pesky engineer, probably from China. I fear for my job in twenty years. I better hurry up and figure out how to be this clever.

3 comments:

Dani Lou said...

The engineer was Japanese, not Chinese, trained in the ancient art of origami. At his engineering job they let him make cuts in the cardboard, but he sticks to the folding principles.

em. said...

the love you have for your job amazes me, i wish everyone was like that!
thanks for sharing and making me laugh.

rachel rianne said...

hilarious.

and we should be scared.
all of us.