Thursday, August 6, 2009

More stuff that I like

First: Netflix is flipping amazing.

Second: Sometimes I treat television shows and movies as homework. I think, "I have no idea what this movie is, but it got good reviews and people have talked about it, so I guess I should watch it, just so I can see what the fuss is all about." Much like my real scholarly pursuits, sometimes it takes me a while (a year or three) to get around to doing my homework.

Third: "Dave Chappelle's Block Party" is flipping amazing.

Like most white people, I'm a culturalist – not a racist, mind you – a culturalist. I have no problem with black people. However, the hip-hop culture that many of them live in is totally unfamiliar to me, and therefore is a little frightening. I don't really understand hip-hop culture. I observe it at a distance and I think, "Hm. That's interesting. I don't get it."

In addition to my general culturalism, I am almost entirely unfamiliar with Dave Chappelle's TV show and comedy routines, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be all that entertained by them.

Those are the two reasons why it took me three years to get around to watching "Dave Chappelle's Block Party".

Here's what everyone failed to tell me: This movie is 3% about Dave Chappelle's comedy, 15% about hip-hop culture, and 80% about generosity, humanity, community, and Brooklyn. (and 2% other.) Also, it's directed by freaking Michel Gondry (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Science of Sleep, dozens of music videos), another badass Frenchman whom I failed to mention in my last post.

The movie is basically a documentary about Dave Chappelle organizing a block party in Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn; the main event being a concert with performances from the likes of Kanye West, Mos Def, Erykah Badu, The Roots, Common, The Fugees, Lauryn Hill, and many more hip-hop and rap artists. Chappelle gives free rides and accommodations to people from his hometown near Dayton, Ohio. He meets everyone in the neighborhood in Bed-Stuy where he's hosting the party (which is announced almost exclusively by word of mouth, yet still manages to draw a crowd of thousands). Everyone appears to have the time of their lives. Dave Chappelle is apparently the nicest, friendliest human being on the planet. The way he interacts with everyone is so endearing. He is so kind and sincere to every single person he encounters, from Kanye West to the middle aged white ladies in a convenience store in Ohio.

No doubt a little bit of this joy is exaggerated by the magic of film editing, but I would guess that the spirit of the movie is very much in line with Dave Chappelle's vision of the party.

If you want to vicariously experience the most delightful summer block party of 2009 (though it actually occurred in September 2004), go rent it now.

1 comment:

luke said...

and now it's on my netflix queue