Saturday, July 26, 2008

Paper Planes

So, there's this song that I've heard everywhere. The odd thing is that I didn't realize I had been hearing it everywhere until yesterday. The first time was on NPR's All Songs Considered1 best of 2007 show. I didn't think much of it. The second time was in the preview for Pineapple Express2. I didn't even notice it. Then I heard the first 5 seconds of it many times as intro music for NPR's Bryant Park Project3. I thought, "what is that nifty song?" Finally, last night, my brother's friend Drew said, "Have you ever heard M.I.A.?" Ignorantly, I replied "Huh uh," so he played it, and in the first 0.07 seconds, I recognized it. Since then, I've been unable to stop listening to it. I mean, really, it has gunshot sound effects in it. How much better can it get?

M.I.A. - Paper Planes



1 All Songs Considered is an awesome show, where I find almost all the music I listen to. Thanks to Bob Boilen and the rest of the All Songs staff.

2 Pineapple Express is a stoner movie that looks fairly entertaining.

3 The Bryant Park Project is an NPR news show, with a much more irreverent attitude than the rest of NPR's programming. Fantastically entertaining. Unfortunately, it was canceled a week after I started listening, and aired its last show last Friday. I'll miss it dearly. I feel the deepest sympathy for the BPP family.

No comments: