Friday, July 25, 2008

A Grand Experiment

This is the beginning of a grand experiment which could go one of two ways. Either it will be a great success, or a boring waste of time and energy which will end as quietly and uneventfully as it started. I'm not sure how I'm defining great success, but if it isn't one, I'm sure I'll get bored and quit. I must disclose that I am starting this blog for entirely selfish reasons. I'm not entirely sure what those reasons are exactly; something along the lines of boosting my own ego, venting my emotions, or being discovered as a genius and gaining vast amounts of wealth and power. Those motives aside, I do hope that whatever I end up writing here can somehow enrich the lives of whoever ends up reading it.

I do a lot of thinking and not a lot of speaking. I don’t like to say anything until I've formulated exactly what I want to say. This is a deep mental/emotional issue that I won't get into right now, but the result is that many of the thoughts that I think go unsaid. Often those thoughts vanish seconds after I decide not to say them. Sometimes, that's a good thing. Often, it's a tragic waste of a good thought. Almost exactly one year ago, I began writing down these thoughts that I didn't want to share at the moment, but didn't want to lose forever. It's not really journaling, per se, as most of the entries are one or two sentences long. I don't really know what to call it (a “journal-type-thing?”), but whatever it is, it is one of the best things I have ever done. I see this blog as sort of the next step: taking the little thought fragments that I have kept to myself, and beginning to develop them and share them with the rest of the world.

So, I hope this is as successful an endeavor as my “journal-type-thing,” and hopefully someone else will find my thoughts of some value, otherwise, why am I thinking them in the first place?

No comments: