Sunday, October 19, 2008

Have you made an appointment?

This semester has been my lightest academic schedule of my college career. It has also been my busiest weekend schedule. I have had plans nearly every weekend since the beginning of school.
August 30-31
Labor Day — Return to KC.
September 6-7
Return to KC — Ride bikes with Team Garmin-Chipotle.
September 13-14
Nothing (except the release of the slightly disappointing "Burn After Reading").
September 20-21
Skydiving!
September 27-28
Trail Building / Camping at HNMBR (Hart National Mountain Bike Reserve).
October 4-5
Mountain Bike racing in Minnesota.
October 11-12
Mountain Bike racing at HNMBR.
Like I said: a busy schedule, but pretty thoroughly enjoyable. Most of those weekends I completely forgot that I was still in school (fortunately I don't often have homework due on Mondays).

This is my first weekend off in a while. It's been pretty good. Friday night I helped my girlfriend bake pumpkin chocolate chip cookies (from whole pumpkins). Saturday I voted. (If you're voting in Johnson County, you have to vote whether or not to let like 30 different judges keep their jobs. It's crazy. This site makes it a lot easier.) I also watched K-State and the Rays lose.

Today I was supposed to jump out of airplanes again, but it was too damn windy (thanks Kansas). So I learned how to pack parachutes instead, which is cool on several levels:
  1. I don't have to run around the hangar begging people to pack for me.
  2. I know how to pack parachutes. That's just cool to know.
  3. If I die, it's my own damn fault and no one else has to feel responsible.
So, not a bad weekend, but I sort of miss my Friday afternoon to Sunday midnight non-stop weekends. I'll just have to start planning more adventures.

Note: This has been part of my "post-a-day" experiment. Normally I would not have written this, as there is no compelling reason that people should be interested in a digest of my day-to-day activities, but that's all I could think to write. Inspiration is lacking, but I need to keep this blog alive in the meantime.

No comments: