Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Weird Secret Stuff

You have no idea how many times on this blog that I have had perfect tie-ins to 30 Rock, but have been unable to find an online copy of the clip that I wanted to use. Well, today, success!



There are lots of things that are weird and potentially creepy about me. I usually keep them secret, but sometimes they are so curious and interesting that I want to talk about them. So here's just one: I am bizarrely attracted to the recorded female voice.

There's no rational explanation for it, but I like more chick music than a guy probably should, and I develop weird crushes on female radio hosts (not Terry Gross, in case that's what you're thinking. She just does great interviews). And I've decided it's because women's voices just sound better to me than men's. It's not an overtly sexual attraction. I don't think, "Damn, she sounds hot." It just stirs up subtle, almost imperceptible warm, comfortable feelings. Maybe it's a weird Freudian maternal attraction thing, who knows? Also, I don't notice it when I'm talking to people in real life, only when I'm listening to recordings.

Well, that's all I really have to say about that. It's just a psychological curiosity, and I can't seem to keep myself from pondering curiosities [I guess that's a bit of a tautology, huh?]. Ladies, I hope that doesn't make me seem creepy and fetishy. I know that baring weird secret stuff is not a good idea a lot of the time, but this one seems pretty harmless, right?

5 comments:

adam paul said...

you freaking wrote this earlier and post-dated it to appear at 12:07.

i know this for three reasons:
1. you were sitting on the next couch over at 12:07 wathing home alone.
2. i had my laptop open at 11:30 and this post did not exist.
3. i am a detective.

you can have all the mechanical skills you want - you got nothin on my sleuthing abilities.

nick said...

What are you talking about? I posted it less than an hour ago, as you can clearly see by the time stamp. We were totally done with the movie.

:)

rachel rianne said...

i totally don't think that it's some weird, creepy, fetishy thing. women probably do sound a billion times more attractive on the radio, because one, you can't see them to know, two, voice is so distinct and unique for each person, giving you a different person to conjure up with every new voice, and three, sound equipment/engineers makes people sound soo good. i mean... not to downplay it or anything, but that softness that's part of radio voices, with exterior noises muted and such... who couldn't sound good? ...maybe dicky v, but besides him.


and i also don't think this is too weird, because for a while, i had an odd crush on mike greenberg from the mike and mike show on espn. and that was definitely not because of looks. (no offense, greeny)

Dani Lou said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dani Lou said...

1. Woah new layout.
a. You should have bought that oscilloscope last summer, because if it didn't work you could have fixed it with your electronics skills.

2. I think the voice thing could be gender-based, and if not, I think most people do have a preference whether or not they acknowledge it, because I infinitely prefer male voices. So much so that I have to consciously put that bias aside when judging forensics rounds.
a. A lot of people don't like his vocal style, but listening to Garrison Keillor gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.
b. And the voice of the smooth jazz-sounding lady on Radio Kansas drives me crazy.